First Term Legislation and Accomplishments (2015 – 2019)
Worked with Holladay Properties leading to acquisition of Donelson Plaza and collaborated to put together vision for its revitalization to include $15 million new Donelson Branch Library and $4 million for associated infrastructure to improve road network and add sidewalks. Click here.
Sponsored legislation and worked with property owners in the district to support them in bringing new, vibrant businesses to the community, including:
- Supported the vision of HJL Management with the investment in their properties to bring a number of small businesses like Nectar: Urban Cantina, Blues Vintage Guitars and Mill Creek Mercantile, Sunflower Bakehouse, Spot’s Pet Supply & Dog Wash, Donelson Hot Yoga, and CBD Solutions. Read here and here.
- Homegrown Taproom & Marketplace
- Bowtie Barber Club and The Bowtie Barista
- Party Fowl Donelson
- Caliber Coffee
- Williams Fine Violins & Luthier Studios
- New office building for Masonry Specialty Contractors with expanded potential on the bottom floor for restaurant or retail.
- New American Legion Post 88 headquarters on McCampbell Avenue.
- Supported the $90 million expansion of the Opryland Hotel with SoundWaves waterpark and facilitated the donation of the McGavock Pike boat ramp to Metro Parks and advocated and secured a Davidson County resident discount at SoundWaves.
- New Music Valley Villages businesses like SmART Supplies, Semper Sliders, Nashville Coffees, and more in Music Valley.
- Supported growing and diverse airport area hotel developments here, here, here, and here.
- Supported quality residential developments in and around the Lebanon Pike corridor envisioned by our “Downtown Donelson” Urban Design Overlay here, here, here, here, here, and here.
Sponsored legislation to enact historic preservation efforts critical to our character and history:
- Sponsored legislation accepting a grant from the Friends of Two Rivers Mansion to help fund a master plan capturing the fascinating history of the property and laying out a vision for its future. Read the plan here.
- Sponsored legislation to receive a grant from the Friends of Two Rivers Mansion to build a beautiful fence across the front of the property.
- Sponsored multiple legislations accepting grants from the Friends of Two Rivers Mansion for administrative support and staffing during Summer and Christmas tours here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
- Sponsored legislation to apply a Historic Landmark Overlay over Belair Mansion.
- Sponsored legislation to apply a Historic Landmark Overlay over the Logue House.
- Supported and worked with the Nashville Steam Preservation Society to move No 576 from Centennial Park to the Nashville & Eastern Rail line where it will be restored and pull excursion trains.
- Supported the Bluefields addition to the National Register of Historic Places.
Led the The Donelson Gateway Project to raise thousands of dollars supporting a major beautification project and facelift for McGavock High School.
Strengthened Stormwater Regulations and secured funding for projects;
- Sponsored legislation to create a permanent 50-foot buffer from the floodway along the Cumberland River
- Woodberry Drive project funded
- Brookview Drive project funded
- Worked with undeveloped property owners along Pennington Bend Road and Miami Avenue to facilitate Metro purchase to prevent overdevelopment.
Helped facilitate a $40 million Metro Water Services infrastructure project on Elm Hill Pike, Old Elm Hill Pike, McGavock Pike, Donelson Pike and Lebanon Pike and worked with The Donelson Gateway Project and District 14 Councilman Kevin Rhoten to include beautification of the Lebanon Pike medians from the YMCA to Stones River Greenway.
Sponsored legislation to accept a $1 million grant from TDOT for the Opry Mills Greenway Connector at the Cumberland Pedestrian Bridge.
Supported ongoing sidewalk projects and initiated newly funded projects:
- Lebanon Pike (from Bluefield Avenue to Graylynn Drive)
- Fairway Drive (from McGavock Pike to Old Lebanon Pike)
- JB Estille Drive
- Lebanon Pike / Cottage Lane (funded, legislation coming)
- Old Lebanon Pike (from JB Estille to Lebanon Pike – funded, legislation coming)
- Around Pennington Elementary School
Sponsored legislation that strengthened regulations for Alternative Financial Institutions (a.k.a Cash Advance / Pay Day Loan businesses) and prevented the expansion of Tennessee Quick Cash in Donelson. Here as well.
Sponsored legislation to put limits on hourly hotel operators to dissuade illicit drug use, prostitution and human trafficking and encourage positive economic development in and around those properties.
Sponsored a resolution asking Metro Codes and Public Works to address the increasing illegal use of public right-of-way for placing campaign signs.
Sponsored or co-sponsored resolutions honoring the significant contributions of Nashvillians and non-profit organizations, including:
- Sponsored a resolution honoring Jeannie Seeley on her 50th Anniversary of being a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
- Sponsored a resolution honoring Roland White for his accomplishments and induction in the International Bluegrass Hall of Fame.
- Sponsored a resolution honoring Metro Parks & Recreation employees for their statewide honors at the Tennessee Recreation & Parks Association 67th Annual Conference.
- Co-sponsored a resolution with Councilmember Nancy VanReece honoring the accomplishments and successes of the Americana Music Association.
- Co-sponsored a resolution recognizing the Lord Mayor of Belfast and dignitaries and engaged with Sister Cities of Nashville on strengthening the long standing close relationship with Belfast.
- Co-sponsored a resolution honoring the Nashville Songwriters Association International on its 50th Anniversary.
- Co-sponsored a resolution welcoming and honoring the Most Reverend J. Mark Spalding as the 12thBishop of the Diocese of Nashville