Jeff Syracuse Metro Council District 15
Donelson TOD Call To Action
The heart of Donelson can be revitalized to include a new Branch Library as the civic anchor for a new, walkable Donelson Plaza town center along with a transformed Donelson Station from a parking lot to an active walkable village.
We all want the heart of Donelson to be a vibrant place with unique character that celebrates our history and includes renewed opportunities to invest in places to shop, work, live, learn and play.
We have a great opportunity to make this happen, but I need your help!
Contact Metro Council today to express your support for the Donelson Transit Oriented Development District.
Please email email@example.com and ask my Colleagues to vote YES on BL2018-1139!
The Donelson Transit Oriented Development District (“TOD”) helps fulfill the vision for our community that we expressed in 2009 when we enacted the “Downtown Donelson” Urban Design Overlay. The Donelson TOD is built on this foundation and is supported by enabling bipartisan State legislation passed by our own State Senator Steve Dickerson and State Representative Darren Jernigan.
Facts about the Donelson TOD and the future of our Music City Star Donelson Station:
- Helps focus transit-oriented, mixed-use development supporting Donelson Station and the area around it.
- Fosters an environment to build and preserve affordable housing options within walking distance to Donelson Station.
- Locates and supports modernization of Donelson Station to be well-lit, visible and accessible by all. Promotes transit options from Donelson Station to the Nashville Airport.
- Provides for new public improvements that will benefit everyone such as the new Donelson Branch Library, improved Donelson Station and walkable options for recreation, shopping and urban living.
- Uses the Urban Design Overlay standards for harmonious rehabilitation of existing buildings amongst new development and moves away from disjointed development.
- Prohibits new alternative financial service businesses (i.e. cash advance / payday loan) and non-owner occupied Short Term Rentals.
- Solidifies the Design Review Committee makeup to include two representatives from 15th District neighborhoods as well as a property owner in the TOD district who are appointed by the 15th District Council Member.
- Promotes & creates safer roads, walkways, Greenways and accessibility to Donelson Station, focusing on new sidewalks, updated crosswalks & better lighting.
The State legislation authorizes the Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency to use Tax Increment Financing (TIF) to support transit infrastructure, economic development and affordable housing to keep Donelson attainable for families, seniors and hardworking Nashvillians with the skyrocketing costs of housing. TIF has typically been used as an incentive for big business. It’s time that we focus these economic development incentives on MAIN Street instead of WALL Street. This is Community Building, not Corporate Welfare!
Please email Metro Council today (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask them to vote YES on BL2018-1139!